Translate

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

21 Days Post-Op...time to go home!...or...maybe one more week :/

So before Heidi took me to the airport today around noon, I had an appointment at 7 am with Dr. Griffiths for one last check up before leaving.  Well, now that it's been a few days since he originally was able to remove most of the skin graft that had died, there was more stuff to clean off.  Unfortunately, underneath was a circle about 1/4 inch in diameter where neither layer of skin graft took.  You can see the cartilage...it's white/cream!  I am not flying home today.  Instead, in about 2 hours, I will go into his office to have a small skin graft placed over this opening under local numbing.  He said that I will be here at most another week.

It's frustrating because I wanted to go home and was excited to see everyone and have my bed back.  I am ready to go back to moving forward with life living in Ohio.  I know I'm making a lot of changes and progress out here, but I'm ready to add in home life too.  I hope I can make it home for Christmas.  Tentatively, I have a flight to come home on Christmas Eve.

The past few nights, the headwrap with the foam to protect my ear has been really irritating.  I came up with a solution.  Not sure about how it would work for a really restless sleeper or if you sleep with things on your face (pillows or something).  But basically I slept with my BAHA on and used it as an alarm.  It sits right behind the new ear, so if I got anywhere near rolling onto the ear, the BAHA would squeal and alert me that I can't do that.  It worked really well for me.  I'm not sure what kind of bandage I will have after this afternoon, though.  I will keep you updated.

And for those that want to know...behind the "see more" is the picture Heidi took.







No comments:

Post a Comment