Translate

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Comparison Photos from first surgery through the loss of the skin graft and second surgery from all angles.

Waking up this morning was not fun.  I tried to take as little pain medication last night as possible, but once I was laying down around 10 pm (even though I was ready for bed by around 5 or 6 pm), I realized the area behind my ear was too painful and throbbing with not much in my system.  Dr. Griffiths took the new fascia flap from behind the new ear.  Basically, he skimmed it off on 3 sides and flipped it over to cover the area on the back of the ear that he had cleaned up and trimmed up to re-graft.  So, while the skin graft area is mainly numb since the nerves in the new ear are not healed, the area on my neck behind the ear is not, and so it hurts.  He also took another full-thickness skin graft from my left groin area to cover the fascia flap.

Yesterday was an interesting experience.  After returning back to the Bishop Foote House after my appointment at 7 am, I made arrangements for everything that needed changed due to my extended stay.  Because of the skin grafts I need to keep my ear warm all the time.  Dr. Griffiths said he was calling in a prescription to the pharmacy I use out here, which is a half mile away.  He didn't really want me walking that far.  Although I told him Heidi might be able to take me when she stops over, to my surprise, an hour or so earlier I had a knock on my door.  Dr. Griffiths had sent one of the ladies in his office to pick up my prescription for me.

When I arrived at Dr. Griffiths office at 2:15, I changed into a gown on top to avoid getting anything on my shirt during surgery.  Then, he spent about 20 minutes slowly injecting numbing medicine behind my ear and in the area on my groin for the skin graft.  Although the skin grafts in the groin are, I guess, in that area, because of the fact that I have PCOS, the grafts are more in the crease between my thigh and stomach on the outer part of my legs since that's one of the only areas on my legs that doesn't have dark hair growth.  Then, we walked over to the operating room in his office suite.

I laid down, got situated to his liking, and then the area for the skin graft harvest on my leg was sterilized.  Then, he laid blue towels around the area to keep everything sterile, etc.  It was scary to be laying there and see Dr. Griffiths sitting next to me with a very thin, tiny scalpel in his hand.  Luckily, his assistant Beth was there to not only help him, but to help hold my hand, remind me to keep my body relaxed, and keep me preoccupied talking.  She was wonderful.  Once he removed the graft, he stitched up that area in a seam.

Next, was the worst part.  He had to make the area on the back of the ear for the the new graft and make the fascia flap for it.  Although I was numb, that doesn't mean I can't feel tugging, etc.  Also, because it was so close to my ear cochlea, I could hear the snipping, etc going on.  Plus, there were times where he had to apply pressure to stop bleeding (and of course some made it down my neck, etc) and occasionally cauterized arteries (which felt like a bunch of tingling and made a buzzing sound).  At certain points, there was a little bit of pain as he went deeper, so he had to stop and inject more numbing medicine.

The surgery took pretty much an hour and a half on the dot.  I had my head turned completely to the left the whole time, and it took a little while before I could get my neck stretched out enough to turn it to the right, but it wasn't a long term problem.  Surprisingly, over surgery, Beth and Dr. Griffiths asked me how I was on food since I had been planning to been on an airplane by that time.  Amazingly, Beth took me to the store after the surgery so I could pick up more food.  That was a huge help and relief!  I also got to talk with her a bit about how she likes working with Dr. Griffiths, etc.  The more I talk with people who know him and work with him, the more amazing stories and qualities I learn about or have what I've observed and surmised confirmed.  She told me a pretty amazing story about her first experience being in surgery with him.  It blew me away.  His mind is just always turning and thinking ahead about all his options and their consequences, yet he is so in tune to what he is doing.  He can come across very quiet sometimes when you visit him in the office, but once you get to know his personality a bit, you realize that it's not rude, it's not boredom, it's not that he's upset, distracted, etc...it's that he's so focused on thinking ahead to the next step, and the one after that, and that, and that.  If you engage him, he's very lively and passionate, but he tends to be very engrossed in thinking ahead and making sure every move he makes regarding your care is well thought out and therefore can come across very quiet if you don't get him going.  And as far as that goes, I've never seen him without him asking me for my questions at least once or twice during the visit...many times it's one of the first things he addresses.  Overall, Dr. Griffiths and his entire staff are constantly going above and beyond to be compassionate and help me in any way that they can.  Especially since I came alone (even though I do have some friends to help when they can), this has blown me away and been supremely helpful with the whole process.

In addition, Gabrielle Moore, who takes care of the Bishop Foote Guest House, has also been wonderful.  When I spent a couple nights at Heidi's, I was obviously not around the Guest House for a few days mid-week.  Usually, I see Gabrielle every day or so either to get a question answered or just because I'm around the house.  It was comforting that a day or so after I returned she knocked on my door to make sure that I was okay since she hadn't seen me in a few days.  Star Thomas at Dr. Griffiths office had assured me that coming out here for my surgery alone would work, but I was still worried.  My friends and family at home were even more skeptical than I was about how safe that would be.  It's been easier and safer than I imagined, which is very comforting!

Anyway, as you can tell, I just can't say enough great stuff about everyone at St. Luke's Hospital facilities.

As I said at the beginning, it was hard to wake up because I was stiff and in pain.  The pain was the worst when I tried to lift my head off the pillow (although I had been smart enough to raise my head with pillows overnight to help keep the swelling down).  Moving hurt, and yes, there was quite a bit of moaning while I was only half awake.  Once I was up, protein was on my mind so I could get my antibiotic and pain killers in my body.

By now (8 pm), I am in a lot less pain.  There's not much pain unless I turn my head and stretch that skin.  My skin graft harvest site doesn't hurt any worse than the other harvest site (which still has a 2 inch section that is no where near healed because of how much movement that area gets).  I am including a picture of the smaller incision stitched up from this surgery because I was absolutely astounded when I saw it.  I can't see a single stitch besides the knots at the end, it simply looks like a red superficial wound!  I also am including a lot of comparison photos of the progression of the area on the ear where the skin graft fell off, how swelling has changed, and how the stitches on the front of the ear are looking at about 3 weeks out.  In the pictures of the front of the ear, it's slowly becoming more obvious, but it's still hard to see in pictures...when I very lightly run my finger from the top of the ear towards the canal, there is now starting to be a dip between the rim and the are right before the canal area!  However, as you will also notice - and is expected - the ear, especially the bottom and back, has become more swollen since the surgery yesterday.  Again, I will place the photos behind the "read more"...the pictures are no worse than any others I have posted.  Enjoy!















No comments:

Post a Comment