Translate

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pre Surgery Whirl Wind

Wow, what a whirl wind the past two days have been!  Yesterday I left for Boise and spent the day traveling.  22 hours after waking up Monday morning, I was finally getting ready to go to bed...it was a VERY long day!  My first flight went really well, although I did learn that peanut butter is considered a liquid, and they confiscated by brand new, unopened jar of almond butter at security.  Once I was in Chicago, I had enough time to grab some food and relax before boarding my flight to Boise.  We boarded and I struck up a great conversation with the lady next to me.  About 30 minutes later, we were informed because of the snow, 2 of the tires were outside of acceptable limits and needed to be changed.  After a lot of confusion as to what was going to be the solution, we had to gather our belongings and trek to the other side of the airport (not the concourse, the whole airport!).  The flight got in about 2 hours late, but luckily I continued to have a great conversation with Ann, the lady who was sitting next to me, and that really helped make the journey easier.  In fact, we exchanged phone numbers, and will hopefully get together again before I leave Boise.

After my luggage finally came - my bag was the very last bag out - I finally got to meet Heidi.  That was a very memorable moment.  It is very cool to know someone for over a year, and then finally meet them in person, especially when things feel so natural it's like you've know each other in person all along.  To my surprise, her daughter Rosalee was with her, which was awesome!  She's a cutie and VERY easy going.  For those of you who don't know, Rosalee also has Microtia and Atresia, and that is how I know Heidi.

Once I got my luggage in my room at the Bishop Foote House, we ran to the grocery store.  Heidi left around midnight, and then I had to unpack the kitchen and my luggage.  It's probably good I still had to unpack, because I was very euphoric at this point and needed some time to calm down.  The flights weren't perfect, but the company made everything better.  And although I was pretty sure Heidi and I would hit it off in person, when you're relationship with someone is purely over the internet, it's always possible in real life it will be weird, or just not work.  Honestly, it was even better than what I imagined as best case scenario.

Once in bed, I began thinking more about how funny it is that I have so many 'friends' via facebook support groups that I have never actually met in person.  Many aren't even on the same continent as I am.  I know most people find that meeting those kinds of 'friends' in real life is awkward and takes a while to make into a face to fact relationship, my experiences meeting people in my BAHA and Mictrotia/Atresia support groups has never fit that mold.  Whether I meet with a parent of a child with M/A or an individual with M/A in real life after talking online in the groups, it's always the same.  It's a deeper kind of understanding and compatibility than anything you can develop in person.  You have something in common that is part of who you/they were born as.  It's a deep kind of innate understanding of what the other's life is like in some aspects, without ever needing any words.  It is a very cool experience, and I'm very thankful to get those opportunities.  It's very exhilarating and healing.

So today was pre-op day.  I spent the morning continuing to unpack and making a smaller grocery store run (by foot this time).  It was very easy to get my bearings and find my way around after a little time with my phone's navigation.  Then, I met with Dr. Griffiths.  I also got to meet Star Thomas, who is the wonderful person in his office who's been working with me to get everything in place for this trip.  She continues to surprise me!  She informed me that she had asked her daughter if I could come use her sewing machine while I'm in town in case I want to do any sewing!  It warmed my heart, but I am really looking forwards to enjoying some of my other hobbies while I'm away from my machine, so I probably won't be taking her up on the offer, but the gesture was really above and beyond.

Dr. Griffiths answered all my questions and I never felt rushed or like I didn't have enough time to find out what I wanted.  Then, he drew lines on the side of my face to mark a large artery and other indications for tomorrow.  He took lots of pictures, made a mold of my good ear, and made a trace of my good ear.  Then he gave me a tour of the OR and the floor I'd most likely stay on afterwards.  We also inquired with the floor on what the best way to make sure I get food that I can have on my low FODMAP diet.

I think I know which method of surgery I will have, but I will keep you all in suspense until after ;)  I will write more on the surgery and how he does things at that point too.  But for now...it's getting late and I have to be at the hospital by 5:30 am tomorrow...luckily it's about a 5 minute walk from here (there's also an on-demand shuttle if at some point I need it).

Overall, things have surpassed my expectations.  That includes the people, my accomodations, as well as my mood.  I'm am no where near as nervous as I thought I would be.  However, staying that way is very hard work.  I may not "feel" nervous, but let me assure you I am using a lot of the coping skills I have learned in the past 4 years to keep it that way.  Those skills are also allowing me to not get caught up in anticipation of the surgery and the results - instead I'm doing my best to drink in every moment of this journey.  I know this is not a one day operation, but a journey that will take a while to recover from - and to adjust to.

Bedtime!  See you all on the flip side!

I also have pictures to post...just ran out of time...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment