Translate

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Pre-Op

My pre-op appointment was on November27th - the afternoon before surgery.  In an earlier post I did say some about what we did during that appointment, but I will be go into more surgical details in conjunction with the pictures I took after the appointment.

We started out talking about any questions I had.  Since I was still not sure about rib graft versus medpor, that is mainly what my questions were about.  I was pretty sure I wanted to do rib graft since I had started having a gut feeling a few days earlier that that's what would be best for me.  Once I heard that rib graft ears are more flexible than medpor (which is pretty rigid), I was sold.  Of course, Dr. Griffiths was still quick to remind me that I could still change my mind up until the morning if I needed to.  As far as asking any sort opinion type questions about what he thought would be best, he was so neutral it was almost frustrating.  I just wanted to be told, but he is very insistent that it's not his decision to make.  He will, however, tell you as much as you want about both procedures, the outcomes, the pros and cons, etc. so you can make an informed decision.

Next, he went over some details of the surgery.  I did tell him I only like to know the basics until after my surgery is over.  He talked about how skin from different areas is like different types of fabric.  They all look, feel, and act differently.  That is why he uses skin grafts from behind the good ear and the groin to cover the ear, instead of the scalp like many of the other surgeons.  He has found that the ear and groin skin matches better in thickness and color, get gets less waxy looking over time than skin from other places.  I thought that was interesting, as I have noticed some reconstructed ears look VERY waxy.  I didn't know it had to do with where the skin graft came from!

I also learned that one of the additional challenges with adults is the main artery that runs in front of the ear.  In children, it is very straight, but in adults, it tends to wiggle more, which makes working around it a little harder (which, as you can see best in the last photo, is why he uses a doppler to map out the artery with sharpie).  He marks it with sharpie, and also makes other marks of veins and surgical notes (hence the photos with sharpie all over).  He did tell me that my anatomy was an "interesting case" and he had never seen anyone similar.  He said it was fine and would be fine to do the surgery, but that he would just have to take it into consideration.  He sounded like he was confident and happy to take on the challenge.

Finally, he used some sort of silicone (similar to what a dentist uses to make a mold of the teeth) that he caulks in and around your good ear to make an impression of it.  Overnight, he uses that to make a mold (which he showed me in pre-op the day of the surgery - I have small ears!).  He also uses a clear film to draw all the details and "levels" of the good ear so that he can match the new ear to it.  He cuts along the lines indicating different depths/levels so that he can figure that out for the new ear.

Finally, he gave me a tour of where I'd check in the next day, the O.R., and the floor I'd most likely end up on.

He is very thorough and detail oriented.  All the people at the hospital I met (especially nurses in the O.R.) love him and mentioned how much of a perfectionist he is.  I have also seen how calm he stays all the time.  If there's a problem, typically, he'll walk to a corner of the room and stand still while thinking through what his next move should be.  Within a minute he usually comes back and has a game plan.  I like that he doesn't immediately react, but takes the time to think through his actions and what the potential consequences will be.  I really helps me trust him as my doctor.  At first, these pauses scared me because I assumed they meant something terrible was wrong and he didn't know how to break the news to me.  Now, I know what's happening and it actually puts me at ease because I know he is thinking about me specifically, my case, and what would be best long term for me and my body (not just being a cocky doctor and generalizing what needs to happen and shrugging off my worries).  Learning this about him has made it much easier to put my faith in him - which is important for me not only because your doctor can be a source of knowledge and support when you're in a lot of discomfort and scared, but because I tend to overreact and fear the worst, but with him I am able to trust his judgement.  However, I do keep my own opinion and gut feelings in mind.  If I think something needs quicker attention of higher levels of care than he is providing, I would go to the ER.  But most of the time, I am just fearing the worst, and I know that.

Lastly, you will notice that my BAHA has a jump ring hanging off the bottom of the back corner.  That is what I use to attach my safety line.  Traditional safety lines connect there through line that is basically clear, stretchy jewelry elastic cord.  However, most people find those break.  I have reinvented the safety line (http://www.etsy.com/shop/HearWithStyle?ref=shop_sugg).  I use a metal ring (like a tiny key ring) through the hold on the BAHA (which I take off, but I had only removed my safety line a little before taking these photos).  I use pacifier clips with a ring on the end to clip to clothing, and then I make beaded lines with jewelry clasps on the ends to connect the two ends.  Thus less breaking and I can match my outfit!  Honestly, if I'm going to have someone notice a line running from my head to my shirt, I might as well make it look pretty, right?

Enjoy the pictures!  I'm just about caught up.  Next up, Surgery!







No comments:

Post a Comment